Fierce, seductive mermaid Syrenka falls in love with Ezra, a young naturalist. When she abandons her life underwater for a chance at happiness on land, she is unaware that this decision comes with horrific and deadly consequences. Almost one hundred forty years later, seventeen-year-old Hester meets a mysterious stranger named Ezra and feels overwhelmingly, inexplicably drawn to him. For generations, love has resulted in death for the women in her family. Is it an undiagnosed genetic defect . . . or a curse? With Ezra’s help, Hester investigates her family’s strange, sad history. The answers she seeks are waiting in the graveyard, the crypt, and at the bottom of the ocean – but powerful forces will do anything to keep her from uncovering her connection to Syrenka and to the tragedy of so long ago.,Elizabeth Fama is the author of Overboard, an ALA Best Book for Young Adults, which appeared on five state lists. She lives with her family in Chicago, Illinois.,
1. “She had dared to love, and she had lost everything.” What did Syrenka truly lose by daring to love Pukanokick? Who suffered more in the long run, Syrenka or Hester?
2. If Syrenka knew what would come of her attempts to find love, do you think she would have—or could have—changed her actions? Do you think love can be controlled, or does love control us?
3. “I am protecting you from me,” Syrenka tells Ezra. In the end, could she have done more to protect him or herself? Is it, as the saying goes, better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all? How do you think Syrenka and Hester would each answer that question?
4. The issue of souls passing from one generation to the next is a key to Hester understanding her family’s history. Do you think such a thing is possible, or do you think each being comes into the world with its own soul?
5. In the end, how did Hester break the curse, thus ensuring she could have her own children one day—and live to raise them? Do you think she had to pay too high a price to break the curse?
“Fama does not shy away from the big issues: love, death, longing, lust, fear, and revenge all play out through her complex and multidimensional characters.” —Booklist
“Monstrous Beauty packs a serious, sexy wallop.” —Bookpage
“Fama (Overboard, 2002) delivers a beautifully written, romantic ghost story with an artful construction that incorporates a murder mystery and detailed historical fiction.” —BCCB
“History buffs, fantasy lovers, and mystery fans will all find something to please them in this engrossing story…” —School Library Journal
“horror and humanity are adroitly handled…” —Publishers Weekly
“…this stylish fantasy mesmerizes.” —Kirkus
Monstrous Beauty was published on September 4, 2012.The intended audience for this book is 12 to 18 years old. The Monstrous Beauty Audiobook is 1333 hours and 20 minutes. Speechify has the Unabridged edition version of the audiobook.
Both the publication language and the narration language are in English.
Monstrous Beauty includes the following subjects: Romance / Paranormal. The BISAC Subject Code is .
The author of Monstrous Beauty is Elizabeth Fama.
The narrator for the Monstrous Beauty Audiobook is Katherine Kellgren.