How to read Cassandra Clare’s books in order
Cassandra Clare is a New York Times bestselling author known for her popular young adult fantasy series, The Shadowhunter Chronicles. Her books have captivated readers with intricate world-building, memorable characters, and gripping plots. The Shadowhunter Chronicles comprises several connected series, such as The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices, The Dark Artifices, and The Last Hours. These series follow the adventures of a group of demon hunters known as the Shadowhunters, who protect the human world from supernatural threats.
Maureen Johnson, Robin Wasserman, and Sarah Rees Brennan are authors who have contributed to the Shadowhunter Chronicles in various ways, including co-writing books and novellas with Cassandra Clare.
- Maureen Johnson co-wrote The Bane Chronicles and Ghosts of the Shadow Market with Cassandra Clare, which are both collections of short stories set in the Shadowhunter world.
- Robin Wasserman co-wrote the Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy novellas with Cassandra Clare, which follow Simon Lewis as he attends the Shadowhunter Academy.
- Sarah Rees Brennan co-wrote The Red Scrolls of Magic with Cassandra Clare, which is a novella set after the events of The Mortal Instruments series and follows the characters of Magnus Bane and Alec Lightwood on a trip to Europe.
As for reading order, it is recommended to read Cassandra Clare’s books in the order they were published, starting with The Mortal Instruments series, followed by The Infernal Devices, The Dark Artifices, and The Last Hours. The graphic novels are adaptations of the main series and can be read alongside or after the original books.
An overview of The Mortal Instruments series
The Mortal Instruments is a popular young adult fantasy series written by Cassandra Clare. The series follows Clary Fray, a teenager living in New York City who is a Shadowhunter, a human-angel hybrid who hunts demons. Together with a group of other Shadowhunters, including the fierce Isabelle Lightwood, Clary embarks on a quest to stop the evil Valentine Morgenstern from creating an army of demons. The series consists of six books: City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, and the City of Heavenly Fire. The Mortal Instruments has been adapted into a successful television series and a feature film.
Publication order of the young adult The Mortal Instruments series
The publication order of The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare is as follows:
- City of Bones (2007)
- City of Ashes (2008)
- City of Glass (2009)
- City of Fallen Angels (2011)
- City of Lost Souls (2012)
- City of Heavenly Fire (2014)
City of Bones
City of Bones is the first book in The Mortal Instruments series. It is a captivating young adult fantasy novel that follows Clary. Together with a group of other Shadowhunters, Clary embarks on a quest to stop the evil Valentine Morgenstern from creating an army of demons. Overall, City of Bones is a must-read for fans of the genre, and it sets up the larger story arc of The Mortal Instruments series perfectly.
City of Ashes
City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare is an action-packed and gripping second sequel of The Mortal Instruments book series. It follows Clary Fray and the Shadowhunters as they continue their fight against Valentine Morgenstern. As Clary struggles with her growing feelings for Jace, she and the Shadowhunters must confront new threats, including a powerful werewolf and a mysterious figure known as the Inquisitor. Overall, City of Ashes sets up the events of the next book perfectly.
City of Glass
City of Glass by Cassandra Clare is the third book in The Mortal Instruments series, and it follows Clary as she travels to Idris, the Shadowhunter’s homeland, in order to stop Valentine Morgenstern’s plan to destroy all Shadowhunters. As the Shadowhunters prepare for the final battle, Clary must also confront her own past and uncover the truth about her family. The City of Glass will leave readers both satisfied and eager to continue on to the next books in the series.
City of Fallen Angels
The plot of City of Fallen Angels is filled with action, suspense, and romance. The story follows Clary and the Shadowhunters as they face a new threat from Lilith, the mother of all demons. As the Shadowhunters race to stop Lilith from unleashing her demon army, Clary and Jace struggle with their complicated relationship, and Simon grapples with his newfound powers as a vampire.
City of Lost Souls
City of Lost Souls is the fifth book in The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. Clary struggles to come to terms with the fact that her boyfriend, Jace has gone missing and is under the control of the villainous Sebastian Morgenstern. The plot of City of Lost Souls is filled with action, suspense, and romance, and it continues to explore the themes of love, loyalty, and self-discovery that are at the heart of The Mortal Instruments series.
City of Heavenly Fire
City of Heavenly Fire is the sixth and final book in The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. The book follows Clary Fray and the Shadowhunters as they face their most dangerous challenge yet, with the evil Sebastian Morgenstern unleashing an army of demons on the world.
Other books by Cassandra Clare
Cassandra Clare has written several other books in addition to The Mortal Instruments series. These include:
- The Infernal Devices trilogy: This is a prequel series to The Mortal Instruments, set in Victorian England. The trilogy consists of Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, and Clockwork Princess.
- The Dark Artifices trilogy: This is a sequel series to The Mortal Instruments, set five years after the events of City of Heavenly Fire. The trilogy consists of Lady Midnight, Lord of Shadows, and Queen of Air and Darkness.
- The Bane Chronicles: This is a collection of short stories that focus on the character of Magnus Bane, a fan-favorite character from The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices.
- Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy: This is a collection of novellas that follow the character of Simon Lewis as he attends the Shadowhunter Academy and learns more about the Shadowhunter world.
- Ghosts of the Shadow Market: This is a collection of short stories that focus on various characters from the Shadowhunter world.
- Chain of Gold, Chain of Iron, and Chain of Thorns are part of The Last Hours trilogy, which is set in Edwardian England and follows the story of the children of the characters from The Infernal Devices trilogy.
- The Red Scrolls of Magic is a novella co-written by Cassandra Clare and Wesley Chu, which is set after the events of The Mortal Instruments series and follows the characters of Magnus Bane and Alec Lightwood on a trip to Europe.
- The Shadowhunter’s Codex is a companion book to the series, which provides a guide to the Shadowhunter world.
Holly Black is a renowned author in the young adult fantasy genre, and she has collaborated with Cassandra Clare on a number of projects set in the Shadowhunter world. Black co-wrote The Eldest Curses with Clare, which is a series of books that follows the character of Magnus Bane, a fan-favorite character from The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices. She also co-wrote The Lost Book of the White with Clare, which is the second book in The Eldest Curses series.
Downworlders, Long Shadows, Sword Catcher, and Warlock are all short stories that are set in the Shadowhunter world and written by Black. These stories explore various characters and aspects of the Shadowhunter world, and they offer readers a deeper insight into the rich and complex universe that Clare and Black have created.
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices Series)
Clockwork Angel is the first book in The Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare. The book follows the story of Tessa Gray, a teenage girl who is sent to London to live with her brother after the death of their aunt. However, things take a dark turn when Tessa is kidnapped. Tessa is rescued by a group of Shadowhunters, including the enigmatic Will Herondale and the kind-hearted Jem Carstairs.
Clockwork Prince is the second book in The Infernal Devices trilogy. Tessa Gray and the Shadowhunters are still searching for a way to stop Mortmain’s sinister plan to destroy the Shadowhunters. As Tessa grapples with her feelings for both Will Herondale and Jem Carstairs, she becomes embroiled in a dangerous plot involving the mysterious Magister, who is pulling the strings behind Mortmain’s plan.
The plot of Clockwork Princess is filled with action, romance, and heartbreak, and it provides a satisfying conclusion to the story of Tessa and the Shadowhunters. Clockwork Princess is a fantastic end to The Infernal Devices trilogy, and it cements Cassandra Clare’s place as one of the best young adult fantasy writers of our time.
The Dark Artifices trilogy
Lady Midnight is the first book in The Dark Artifices trilogy by Cassandra Clare. The book is set in modern-day Los Angeles and follows the story of Emma Carstairs, a Shadowhunter who is determined to solve the mystery behind her parents’ deaths.
Lord of Shadows
Lord of Shadows is the second book in The Dark Artifices trilogy. The book picks up where the previous one left off, with Emma Carstairs and the Blackthorn family still reeling from the events of Lady Midnight.
Queen of Air and Darkness
Queen of Air and Darkness is the third and final book in The Dark Artifices trilogy. Emma Carstairs and the Blackthorn family face their most dangerous challenge yet. As the Shadowhunters and the faeries prepare for war, Emma and Julian’s forbidden love is discovered, leading to devastating consequences for them and their families. The Dark Artifices trilogy cements Cassandra Clare’s place as one of the best young adult fantasy writers of our time.
Listen to Cassandra Clare on Speechify Audiobooks
Cassandra Clare’s books are available in audiobook format on Speechify, and many of them are narrated by talented voice actors. Listening to her books on audio is a great way to experience her rich and immersive worlds, and it allows listeners to enjoy the books on the go. Once you’ve binged Cassandra Clare’s books Speechify also offers an expansive catalog of genres, including young adult fiction, fantasy, and dark fantasy audiobooks. The service also allows users to use bookmarks for later reference. Sign up for Speechify Audiobooks and enjoy your first premium audiobook for free.