What is Speechify’s business model?
Speechify offers a free service and paid services. To make money, we encourage the users of our free service to upgrade to one of our paid services. We don’t help third parties to advertise their products to you. We also do not—and will not—sell your information.
Information collection and use
What Information does Speechify collect about me?
When you interact with our Site, Software, and/or Services, we collect information that could be used to identify you (“Personal Data”). Some of the information we collect is stored in a manner that cannot be linked back to you (“Non-Personal Data”).
Information you provide us when you create an account: To ensure the details mentioned here are complete and need no updating or change.
When you sign up for or use our Services, you voluntarily give us certain Personal Data, including:
- Your username, email address, and contact and language preferences. If you log into Speechify with a social networking credential, such as with your Facebook or Google account, we will ask permission to access basic information from that account, such as your name and email address. You can stop sharing that information with us at any time by removing Speechify’s access to that account.
Other Information we collect
We collect this information as you use the Site, Software, and/or Services:
- User Content. This consists of all text, documents, or other content or information uploaded, entered, or otherwise transmitted by you in connection with your use of the Services and/or Software.
- Names of user contacts in Speechify Keyboard (on-device storage only). To make appropriate spelling suggestions, the Speechify Keyboard may request or obtain access to your contacts’ names on your device. For instance, Speechify will not try to autocorrect names that are in your contacts. These names will be stored solely on your device within the Speechify Keyboard app and are never sent to Speechify servers.
Automatically collected Information
Certain data about the devices you use to connect with Speechify and your use of the Site, Software, and/or Services are automatically logged in our systems, including:
- Location information. This is the geographic area where you use your computer and mobile devices (as indicated by an Internet Protocol (IP) address or similar identifier) when interacting with our Site, Software, and/or Services.
- Log data. As with most websites and technology services delivered over the internet, our servers automatically collect data when you access or use our Site, Software, and/or Services and record it in log files. This log data may include IP address, browser type and settings, date and time of use, information about browser configuration, language preferences, and cookie data.
- Usage information. This is information about the Speechify Site, Software, and/or Services you use and how you use them. We may also obtain data from our third-party partners and service providers to analyze how users use our Site, Software, and/or Services. For example, we will know how many users access a specific page on the Site and which links they clicked on. We use this aggregated information to better understand and optimize the Site.
- Device information. This is data from your computer or mobile device, such as the type of hardware and software you are using (for example, your operating system and browser type), as well as unique device identifiers for devices that are using Speechify Software.
Information collected from other sources
How does Speechify use my Information?
We use, process, and store your Information as necessary to perform our contract with you and for our legitimate business interests, including:
- To help us provide and administer our Site, Software, and/or Services, authenticate users for security purposes, provide personalized user features and access, process transactions, conduct research, develop new features, and improve the features, algorithms, and usability of our Site, Software, and/or Services.
- To communicate with you about your use of our Site, Software, and/or Services, product announcements, and software updates, as well as respond to your requests for assistance, including providing account verification support if you’re having difficulty accessing your account.
- To send you direct marketing emails and special offers about Speechify, from which you can unsubscribe at any time. For more information, please see the section titled, “Will Speechify send me emails?” If you are located in the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, or the UK, we will only send you marketing information if you consent to us doing so at the time you create your account or any point thereafter.
- To display User Content associated with your account and make sure it is available to you when you use our Services.
- To provide human proofreading services for users who submit User Content in connection with this specific service.
- To calculate aggregate statistics on the number of unique devices using our Site, Software, and/or Services, and to detect and prevent fraud and misuse of those.
Does Speechify review User Content?
As a rule, Speechify employees do not monitor or view your User Content stored in or transferred through our Site, Software, and/or Services, but it may be viewed if we believe the Terms of Service have been violated and confirmation is required, if we need to do so to respond to your requests for support, if we otherwise determine that we have an obligation to review it as described in the Terms of Service, or to improve our algorithms as described in the User Content section of our Terms of Service. In addition, if you request our human proofreading services, our proofreaders may also read the User Content you submit for this specific service, as necessary to perform our contract with you and for our legitimate business interests. Finally, your Information may be viewed where necessary to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Speechify and its users, or to comply with our legal obligations, such as responding to warrants, court orders, or other legal processes.
Information access and disclosure
Does Speechify share my Information?
We only disclose Personal Data to third parties when…
- …we use service providers who assist us in meeting business operations needs, including hosting, delivering, and improving our Services. We also use service providers for specific services and functions, including email communication, customer support services, and analytics. These service providers may only access, process, or store Personal Data pursuant to our instructions and to perform their duties to us.
- …we have your explicit consent to share your Personal Data.
- …we believe it is necessary to investigate potential violations of the Terms of Service, to enforce those Terms of Service, or to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, or potential threats against persons, property, or the systems on which we operate our Site, Software, and/or Services.
- …we determine that the access, preservation, or disclosure of your Personal Data is required by law to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Speechify and users of our Site, Software, and/or Services, or to respond to lawful requests by public authorities, including national security or law enforcement requests.
We may disclose Non-Personal Data publicly and to third parties—for example, in public reports about word usage, to partners under agreement with us, or as part of progress reports we may provide to users.
Speechify does not share your Personal Data with third parties for the purpose of enabling them to deliver their advertisements to you.
Does Speechify sell or rent my Personal Data?
No, Speechify does not sell or rent your Personal Data.
How do third-party apps and plugins work?
Some third-party applications and services that work with us may ask for permission to access your Information. Those applications will provide you with notice and request your consent in order to obtain such access or information. Please consider your selection of such applications and services, and your permissions, carefully.
Some third parties’ embedded content or plugins on our Site and/or Software, such as Facebook “Like” buttons, may allow their operators to learn that you have visited the Site, and they may combine this knowledge with other data they have collected about your visits to other websites or online services that can identify you.
Data collected by third parties through these apps and plugins is subject to each parties’ own policies. We encourage you to read those policies and understand how other companies use your data.
Will Speechify send me emails?
From time to time, we may want to contact you with information about product announcements, software updates, and special offers. We also may want to contact you with information about products and services from our business partners. You may opt out of such communications at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link found within Speechify emails and changing your contact preferences. All Speechify account holders will continue to receive transactional messages related to our Services, even if you unsubscribe from promotional emails.
For EEA, Swiss, and UK users: We only send marketing communications to you with your prior consent. Please see the section “For EEA, Swiss, and UK users” below.
Does Speechify ever make any of my Personal Data or User Content public?
No, we do not share Personal Data or User Content except in the limited circumstances described in the “Does Speechify share my Information?” section of the Policy.
Does Speechify collect information from children?
Unless your Speechify account is part of a Speechify for Education license, Speechify does not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If we determine we have collected personal information from a child younger than 13 years of age, we will take reasonable measures to remove that information from our systems. If you are under the age of 13, please do not submit any personal information through the Site, Service, and/or Software. We encourage parents and legal guardians to monitor their children’s internet usage and to help enforce this Policy by instructing their children never to provide personal information through the Site, Service, and/or Software without their permission.
Please note that in some countries the age of digital consent is older than 13. If you are in one of those countries, you must be at least that age to use the Site, Software, and/or Services.
Data storage, transfer, retention, and deletion
Where is my Information stored?
Information submitted to Speechify will be transferred to, processed, and stored in the United States. When you use the Software on your computing device, User Content you save will be stored locally on that device and synced with our servers. If you post or transfer any Information to or through our Site, Software, and/or Services, you are agreeing to such Information, including Personal Data and User Content, being hosted and accessed in the United States. Please note that the laws of the United States may be different from the privacy laws applicable to the place where you are resident.
How secure is my Information?
Speechify is committed to protecting the security of your Information and takes reasonable precautions to protect it. However, internet data transmissions, whether wired or wireless, cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure, and as a result, we cannot ensure the security of Information you transmit to us, including Personal Data and User Content; accordingly, you acknowledge that you do so at your own risk.
We use industry-standard encryption to protect your data in transit and at rest.
Once we receive your data, we protect it on our servers using a combination of technical, physical, and logical security safeguards. The security of the data stored locally in any of our Software installed on your computing device requires that you make use of the security features of your device. We recommend that you take the appropriate steps to secure all computing devices that you use in connection with our Site, Software, and/or Services.
If Speechify learns of a security system breach, we may attempt to notify you and provide information on protective steps, if available, through the email address that you have provided to us or by posting a notice on the Site. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive such notices in writing.
How can I delete my Personal Data from Speechify?
You can remove your Personal Data from Speechify at any time by logging into your account, accessing the Settings page, and then deleting your account. Please note that, for security reasons, subscribers of our paid services will first be instructed to cancel their subscriptions before they can delete their Speechify account.
How long is Personal Data retained?
You can remove your Personal Data from Speechify at any time by deleting your account as described above. However, we may keep some of your Personal Data for as long as reasonably necessary for our legitimate business interests, including fraud detection and prevention and to comply with our legal obligations including tax, legal reporting, and auditing obligations.
What happens if Speechify closes my account?
If Speechify closes your account due to your violation of the Terms of Service, then you may contact Speechify to request deletion of your data. Speechify will evaluate such requests on a case by case basis, pursuant to our legal obligations.
As Speechify evolves, we may need to update this Policy to keep pace with changes in our Site, Software, and Services, our business, and laws applicable to us and you. We will, however, always maintain our commitment to respect your privacy. We will notify you of any material changes that impact your rights under this Policy by email (to your most recently provided email address) or post any other revisions to this Policy, along with their effective date, in an easy-to-find area of the Site, so we recommend that you periodically check back here to stay informed of any changes. Please note that your continued use of Speechify after any change means that you agree with and consent to be bound by the new Policy. If you disagree with any changes in this Policy and do not wish your information to be subject to it, you will need to delete your Speechify account.
For EEA, Swiss, and UK users
Speechify uses, processes, and stores Personal Data, including what is listed in the “What Information does Speechify collect about me?” section, as necessary to perform our contract with you, and based on our legitimate interests in order to provide the Services. We rely on your consent to process Personal Data to send promotional emails and to place cookies on your devices. In some cases, Speechify may process Personal Data pursuant to legal obligation or to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
When Speechify transfers the personal data of EEA, Swiss, and UK residents outside of those regions it does so via appropriate safeguards of user privacy, such as standard contractual clauses.
What rights do I have, and how can I exercise them?
Individuals located in the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, and the UK have certain rights in respect to their personal information, including the right to access, correct, or delete Personal Data we process through your use of the Site, Software, and/or Services. If you’re a user based in the EEA, Switzerland, or the UK, you can:
- Request a Personal Data report by submitting a support ticket through this link. This report will include the Personal Data we have about you, provided to you in a structured, commonly used, and portable format. You must be signed into your Speechify account to submit this request. Please note that Speechify may request additional information from you to verify your identity before we disclose any information.
- Have your Personal Data corrected or deleted. Some Personal Data can be updated by you: You can update your name and email address, as well as language preference, through your Speechify account settings. If you registered for Speechify using Google or Facebook, or if you otherwise have problems updating this information, please submit a support ticket. You can remove your Personal Data from Speechify by deleting your account.
- Object to us processing your Personal Data. You can ask us to stop using your Personal Data, including when we use your Personal Data to send you marketing emails. We only send marketing communications to users located in the EEA, Switzerland, and the UK with your prior consent, and you may withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link found within Speechify emails and changing your contact preferences. Please note that you will continue to receive transactional messages related to our Services, even if you unsubscribe from marketing emails.
- Complain to a regulator. If you’re based in the EEA, Switzerland, or the UK and think that we haven’t complied with data protection laws, you have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority.
If you have other questions or do not have a Speechify account, contact us by submitting a support ticket.
As stated in the “Where is my Information stored?” section above, information submitted to Speechify will be transferred to, processed, and stored in the United States. When you use the Software on your computing device, User Content you save will be stored locally on that device and synced with our servers. If you post or transfer any Information to or through our Site, Software, and/or Services, you are agreeing to such Information, including Personal Data and User Content, being hosted and accessed in the United States. Please note that the privacy laws of the United States may be different from those in the place where you are a resident.
Where required, we will use appropriate safeguards for transferring data outside of Europe, Switzerland, and the UK. This includes signing Standard Contractual Clauses that govern the transfers of such data, which may be used in conjunction with additional safeguards. For more information about these transfer mechanisms, please contact us as detailed in the “Contact us” section below.
For California users
Supplemental Privacy Notice for California residents
Summary of information we collect
If you’re a California resident, California law requires us to provide you with some additional information about how we collect, use, and disclose your “personal information” (as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”)).
We may also use the categories of personal information for compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and we may aggregate the information we collect or de-identify the information to limit or prevent identification of any particular user or device.
If you’re a California resident, you may have certain rights. California law may permit you to request that we:
- Provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you.
- Provide you a summary of the categories of personal information we have collected or disclosed about you in the last twelve months; the categories of sources of such information; the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling your personal information; and the categories of third parties with whom we shared personal information.
- Delete certain information we have about you.
You may have the right to receive information about the financial incentives that we offer to you (if any). You also have the right not to be discriminated against (as provided for in applicable law) for exercising certain of your rights. Certain information may be exempt from such requests under applicable law. For example, we need certain types of information so that we can provide the Site, Software, and Services to you. If you ask us to delete it, you may no longer be able to access or use the Site, Software, and Services.
To exercise these rights, you can:
- Request a personal data report by submitting a support ticket through this link. You must be signed into your Speechify account to submit this request, and you may be required to log into your account to access the summary or the report.
- Request the summary described above by submitting a support ticket or emailing [email protected].
- Delete your personal information from Speechify by deleting your account. You must be signed into your Speechify account to submit this request, and you will be required to provide your password to confirm that you want to delete your account.
- You can also submit requests by submitting a support ticket or emailing [email protected].
You’ll need to provide us with information sufficient to verify your identity before we can satisfy your request. To do so, you’ll need to log into your account or provide us with certain information regarding yourself and/or your usage of the Site, Software, and Services. You can also designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. To do so, you need to provide us with written authorization for the agent to act on your behalf. You will still need to verify your identity directly with us.
California Shine the Light
If you’re a California resident, you can ask for a list of third parties (if any) that have received your information for their direct marketing purposes during the previous calendar year. This list also contains the types of information shared. We provide this list at no cost. To make such a request, contact us at [email protected].
For Nevada Users
Under Nevada law, certain Nevada consumers may opt out of the sale of “personally identifiable information” for monetary consideration to a person for that person to license or sell such information to additional persons. “Personally identifiable information” includes first and last name, address, email address, phone number, Social Security Number, or an identifier that allows a specific person to be contacted either physically or online. We do not engage in such activity; however, if you are a Nevada resident who has purchased or leased goods or services from us, you may submit a request to opt out of any potential future sales under Nevada law by emailing [email protected]. Please note we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity and the authenticity of the request. Once verified, we will maintain your request in the event our practices change.
For Brazil Users
This Brazil Privacy Notice (“Notice”) applies to personal data processing activities under Brazilian law, and takes effect on the LGPD’s effective date.
If you’re a resident of Brazil, you may have certain rights. Brazilian law may permit you to request that we:
- Confirm whether we process your data.
- Provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you.
- Correct incomplete, inaccurate, and outdated data.
- Anonymize, block, or delete data that is unnecessary, excessive, or not being processed in accordance with Brazilian data protection law.
- Port your personal data to another service or product vendor.
- Delete personal data processed with your consent, when applicable.
- Provide you with information regarding the public and private entities with which we share data.
- Provide you with information about the possibility of withdrawing consent and the consequences of such withdrawal, where applicable.
- Withdraw your consent.
You can exercise some of these rights by logging in and visiting the My Account page. For example, you can download a copy of your Personal Data, delete your Personal Data by deleting your account, or correct your Personal Data in your Speechify account settings. You can also submit requests by submitting a support ticket or emailing [email protected]. You will be required to verify your identity before we fulfill your request. To do so, you’ll need to log into your account or provide us with certain information regarding yourself and/or your usage of the Site, Software, and Services.
For EDU users
If your Speechify account is part of a Speechify for Education license, your parents and your school administrator may have the legal right to access your account and may delete it.
For the purposes of this Policy, when we say “Speechify,” “we,” or “us,” we mean Speechify, Inc., 7901 4th Street N, Suite 6193, St. Petersburg FL-33702
Table of Contents
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your hard drive by a web page server. Cookies contain information that can later be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you. Some of the cookies will only be used if you use certain features or select certain preferences, and some cookies are essential to the Site, Software, and/or Services, and will always be used. Web beacons, tags, and scripts may be used in the Site or in emails to help us deliver cookies and count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness, and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by our service/analytics providers (for example, Google Analytics) on an individual and aggregated basis.
How to disable cookies
- Click here to learn more about managing cookie settings in Mozilla Firefox;
- Click here to learn more about managing cookie settings in Google Chrome;
- Click here to learn more about managing cookie settings in Microsoft Internet Explorer;
- Click here to learn more about managing cookie settings in Safari;
- Click here to learn more about managing cookie settings in Microsoft Edge.
If you want to learn more about cookies or how to control, disable, or delete them, please visit www.allaboutcookies.org for detailed guidance. In addition, certain third-party advertising networks, including Google, permit users to opt out of or customize preferences associated with your Internet browsing. To learn more about this feature from Google, click here.
Types of cookies Speechify uses
Many jurisdictions require or recommend that website operators inform users/visitors as to the nature of cookies they utilize and, in certain circumstances, obtain the consent of their users to the placement of certain cookies.
Each cookie used by Speechify falls within one of the following categories:
Essential cookies (First-Party Cookies) are sometimes called “strictly necessary,” as without them we cannot provide many services that you need. For example, essential cookies help remember your preferences as you use our Site, Software, and/or Services.
These cookies track information about your visits and usage of the Site, Software, and/or Services so that we can make improvements and report our performance — for example, to analyze visitor and user behavior so as to provide more relevant content or suggest certain activities. We might also use analytics cookies to test new ads, pages, or features to see how users react to them. Google Analytics is the main technology we currently use in this regard. To learn more about Google Analytics and your privacy, visit the “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps” page at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics when using our website, visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Functionality or preference cookies
During your visit to the Site, or while you use our Software or Services, cookies are used to remember information you have entered or choices you make (such as your username, language, or your region). They also store your preferences when personalizing the Site, Software, and/or Services to optimize your use of Speechify (for example, your preferred language). These preferences are remembered through the use of persistent cookies, and the next time you visit the Site or use our Software and/or Services, you will not have to set them again.
Cookies for promoting Speechify paid accounts
These Third-Party Cookies are placed by third-party advertising platforms or networks in order to deliver ads for Speechify paid accounts and track the performance of those ads. These platforms may subsequently use information about your visit to Speechify.com to target you with advertising for Speechify paid accounts on other websites. You can opt out of interest-based targeting provided by participating ad servers through the Digital Advertising Alliance (http://youradchoices.com).
Social media cookies
Cookies subject to change
The content of this Policy is for your general information and use only.
Updating this Policy
We will occasionally update this Policy. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on the Policy. Your continued use of the Site, Software, and/or Services constitutes your agreement to be bound by such changes to this Policy. Your only remedy, if you do not accept the terms of this Policy, is to discontinue use of and access to the Site, Software, and/or Services.