Chrome is a popular browser that people use, but did you know that most people don’t take full advantage of all its benefits?
To really experience all Google Chrome has to offer, you need to know how to install Chrome extensions. With the right extensions, you can make your time online much easier, using the tools available to help you read more quickly, listen to text, set an alarm, and more.
In this article, we’ll go over how to install, manage, and uninstall Chrome extensions, so you can try out new extensions, make adjustments, or remove those that you don’t want.
How to install Chrome extensions
To get started, here is how to install Chrome extensions manually.
The steps to install Chrome extensions
- Make sure your browser is not in guest or incognito mode. Either of these will prevent extensions from being installed.
- Next, open the Chrome web store.
- In the Chrome web store, look for the extension you want to download.
- Once you find the extension you want to use, click “Add to Chrome.”
- If the extension tells you it needs data or permissions, you need to approve it. Click “add extension” to do so. You should only approve the extensions that you trust if they ask for permissions.
Once your extension is installed, you will be able to use it right away. To do so, you can click on the extension icon (it looks like a puzzle piece) on the right of your address bar.
Managing your Chrome extensions
Once you’ve installed your Chrome extensions, you may want to manage them as well. You can turn them on and off, adjust their settings, and more.
How to manage your Chrome extensions
- Open Chrome.
- Click on More (three dots are beside it) and go to “more tools,” and “extensions.”
- Make the changes you’d like. You can do one of the following:
- Turn on or off the extension.
- Fix corruptions that have stopped the extension from working correctly.
- Allow site access so the extension can be used on a specific website or all websites.
- Allow incognito, so you can use it in incognito mode.
These are some of the simple changes you can make. Some extensions also have independent settings you can change, such as changing the length of a timer or adjusting the voice used by a text-to-speech extension.
How to see all your extensions in Chrome
You will also want to be able to see all your extensions, so you can go through them and get rid of the ones you don’t need anymore. To do so, just:
- Open Chrome.
- Click on the puzzle-piece icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click on “Manage extensions.”
You’ll see all the extensions you’ve installed on Chrome on the next page.
Uninstall your Chrome extensions
Sometimes, the extensions that you have one your browser won’t be right for you. That’s okay, because it’s easy to uninstall the extensions you’ve downloaded when you no longer want them.
Steps for uninstalling Chrome extensions
- Start by opening the Google Chrome browser.
- In the upper right-hand corner, click on the Extensions icon, which looks like a puzzle piece.
- Click on “Manage extensions.”
- Once you can see all your extensions, you can click on “remove” on the extension you no longer want.
Remember that removing your extension will make it so you can no longer use it and will need to redownload it if you end up needing it again later.
Considerations before uninstalling your Chrome extensions
Before you decide to uninstall your Chrome extensions, it’s a good idea to keep in mind that you’ll have to re download them and reset your preferred settings if you decide to remove the extension completely from your browser.
Another option could be to turn off the extension, which you can do by toggling the button on the right-hand side of the extension box. When it is turned on, the toggle will be blue. When it is off, it will be gray.
By toggling the extension on and off, you can decide if you want to see it on your toolbar or not. It won’t be running, so if the extension was getting in the way on certain websites or slowing down the browser, you can turn it off until you need to use it.
Where do I find Chrome extensions?
It’s easy to find Chrome extensions. Open your Chrome browser and click on the three dots on the right-hand side of your toolbar.
Then, click on “More Tools,” and “Extensions.” You can also type chrome://extensions/ into the search bar to have the main extension page come up in Chrome.
How do I install third-party extensions in Chrome?
To install third-party extensions:
- Open Google Chrome’s web store.
- Click on the Extensions tab.
- Search to find the extension you want to add to Chrome.
- Click “Add to Chrome” to add it to your browser for immediate use.
Why can’t I install extensions on Chrome?
If you’re having through installing extensions, you could be using an older version of Chrome or could be logged in as a guest. You could also be in incognito mode.
If the browser is on a work or school computer, it’s possible that you don’t have administrative permissions and that you may have to request access to download extensions from the Chrome web store.
How do I show extensions on the Chrome toolbar?
Using the latest version of Chrome, click on the “Extensions” button (this looks like a puzzle piece).
This will show you the different extensions you have installed. Click on the pin to pin it to your toolbar. When the pin is blue, the icon for the extension will appear on the toolbar. If it is gray, it will not be on the toolbar.