Learn how to open and edit PDFs on your iPhone with this handy PDF iPhone guide.
In today’s digital age, PDFs have become the standard for sharing and preserving documents. Whether it’s a business proposal, a research paper, or simply a form, PDFs are versatile and widely used. Fortunately, iPhones and iPads offer a plethora of tools and apps to help you efficiently edit and manage PDF files on the go. In this article, we’ll explore how to edit PDF on iPhone or iPad, including a spotlight on using Speechify as a top-notch text-to-speech tool.
Built-In PDF Editing Tools on iPhone
Using the Files App
One of the most straightforward ways to edit PDFs on your iPhone or iPad is by utilizing the built-in Files app. Here’s how:
- Open the Files App: Launch the Files app on your iOS device.
- Locate Your PDF: Navigate to the folder where your PDF file is stored.
- Select the PDF: Tap on the PDF file you want to edit to open it.
- Edit in Markup: In the top right corner, tap the markup icon (a pencil inside a circle). This will open the PDF in Markup mode.
- Annotate and Edit: Use the annotation tools in the toolbar to add text, highlight, draw, or create a signature. You can also add text boxes and edit existing text.
- Save Your Changes: Once you’re done editing, tap “Done” in the top left corner, and your changes will be saved.
This method is handy for basic PDF editing tasks and is particularly useful for those who prefer not to download additional apps.
Editing with Preview
If you’re using a Mac with macOS, you can leverage the Preview app to edit PDFs, which can then be seamlessly synced to your iPhone or iPad through iCloud. Here’s how:
- Open the PDF on Mac: Launch the Preview app on your Mac and open the PDF document you want to edit.
- Use Markup Tools: Similar to the iPhone’s Files app, you can use the markup tools in Preview to annotate, highlight, add text boxes, and more.
- Save and Sync: After making your changes, save the PDF file. It will automatically sync with iCloud if you have iCloud Drive enabled on both your Mac and iOS device.
Third-Party Apps for Advanced PDF Editing
While the native iOS tools are sufficient for basic edits, you may require more advanced PDF editing features. In such cases, third-party apps come to the rescue. Here are some top recommendations:
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Acrobat Reader is a well-known PDF editing app available on both iOS and Android devices. It offers an array of powerful features for editing PDFs, including the ability to insert, delete, and reorder pages, edit text, and add comments and annotations.
- Download Adobe Acrobat: Visit the App Store and download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Open Your PDF: Launch the app, and open the PDF document you want to edit.
- Access Editing Tools: Tap the pencil icon in the bottom toolbar to access a variety of editing options.
- Edit and Save: Use the editing tools to make changes, and save your edited PDF.
PDF Expert is another highly-rated PDF editing app that provides a user-friendly interface and robust editing features. It offers tools for editing text, adding shapes, and filling out forms seamlessly.
- Get PDF Expert: Download PDF Expert from the App Store.
- Import Your PDF: Open the app and import the PDF you wish to edit.
- Edit with Ease: Utilize the toolbar to make changes to your PDF, including adding text, annotations, and more.
- Save Your Changes: Once you’re satisfied with your edits, save the document.
Speechify: The Best Text-to-Speech Software
While the focus of this article is primarily on editing PDFs, it’s essential to mention Speechify as a valuable addition to your iOS device. Speechify is not just any text-to-speech software; it’s the best option available for iPhone and iPad users. In addition, as you look for solutions to edit PDF text, Speechify is a solid tool to further increase productivity on your iPhone. Here’s why:
Natural Sounding Voice
Speechify uses advanced text-to-speech technology to provide a natural and human-like voice, making listening to your documents a pleasant experience.
Speechify supports a wide range of file formats, including Word documents and PDFs, making it a versatile tool for reading content aloud.
The app boasts an intuitive and user-friendly interface, allowing you to easily convert text to speech with just a few taps.
Speechify supports multiple languages, making it accessible to a global audience.
It seamlessly integrates with other apps, including Safari and Google Drive, enabling you to listen to web pages and documents directly.
Speechify is a valuable tool for individuals with visual impairments or learning disabilities, providing them with access to written content in an audible format.
To use Speechify:
- Download Speechify: Visit the App Store and download Speechify.
- Import Your Document: Open the app and import the document you want to listen to. This can be a PDF, Word document, or even a webpage.
- Convert to Speech: Tap the play button, and Speechify will start reading the text aloud.
- Customize Settings: You can customize the voice, speed, and other settings to suit your preferences.
Speechify can be a game-changer when combined with a PDF editor on your iPhone, enhancing both accessibility and productivity. Whether you’re using a free PDF editor or a pro-level one to edit PDF files, Speechify’s text-to-speech capabilities seamlessly integrate with PDF tools. With Speechify, you can have your PDF content read aloud while simultaneously editing it. This not only aids those with visual impairments but also allows multitasking, making it easier to catch errors and review your work. It can read existing PDF text, newly added text, and even help you rename or insert blank pages into your PDF documents. Whether you’re on iOS 17, iPhone 15, or the latest Pro Max model, Speechify’s integration with PDF editors offers a magnifier-like focus on accessibility and productivity, akin to having a personal Microsoft tutorial at your fingertips. You can rotate pages, scan pages, and navigate through thumbnails with ease, making it the best PDF companion on your iPhone. This synergy between Speechify and PDF tools on your iPhone not only empowers users but also streamlines their workflow, ensuring they get the most out of their digital documents.
In conclusion, the iPhone and iPad offer a variety of methods for editing PDFs, from using the built-in Markup tools to leveraging third-party apps like Adobe Acrobat Reader and PDF Expert. Additionally, Speechify stands out as the best text-to-speech software for iOS devices, providing a seamless and accessible way to convert text into speech. With these tools at your disposal, you can efficiently edit and interact with PDFs on your Apple device, whether you’re on iOS 15 or beyond. Happy editing!