Text to speech apps can help you read news articles quicker and more efficiently. Learn about 5 top tools.
In today’s digital age, staying updated with the latest events has never been easier. However, for many individuals, reading the news can be a challenge or simply not convenient. Enter text to speech (TTS) technology, which has emerged as a game-changer for converting written content into audio. With text to speech you can listen to the news aloud anytime, anywhere. Here’s everything you need to know about reading the news with text to speech.
Why reading the news is important
Reading the news is essential in our ever-evolving world for several compelling reasons. The news provides us with an up-to-date understanding of local, national, and international events, enabling informed decisions and conversations. Staying abreast of current events fosters a sense of global awareness, bridging the gap between cultures and societies and promoting a deeper understanding of the multifaceted world in which we live. Additionally, the news offers insights into economic shifts, political movements, technological advancements, and social transformations, helping individuals prepare for potential impacts on their professional and personal lives. Consistently reading the news also cultivates critical thinking by challenging readers to differentiate between fact and opinion, discern biases, and analyze the broader implications of events.
Top 10 websites to read news
In the digital era, where information floods our screens at breakneck speed, discerning reliable news sources becomes paramount. The vast expanse of the internet offers a plethora of news websites, each with its distinctive angle, focus, and credibility. Amidst this information deluge, certain sites have distinguished themselves through rigorous reporting, editorial excellence, and innovative storytelling. Let’s explore the top 10 media companies and news sources:
- The New York Times: The New York Times is a globally recognized source offering in-depth reports and opinion pieces.
- BBC News: BBC News is renowned for its worldwide coverage and unbiased reporting.
- MxM News: The MxM News app provides curated news, bypassing mainstream censorship and aiming to bridge societal divisions and misinformation.
- The Guardian: The Guardian is known for its investigative journalism and diverse viewpoints.
- Al Jazeera: Al Jazeera provides a non-western perspective on global events.
- Reuters: Reuters offers timely financial news and global updates.
- NPR: Besides news articles, NPR provides podcasts and audiobooks.
- The Washington Post: The Washington Post is acclaimed for its political coverage and investigative pieces.
- Bloomberg: Bloomberg is a leading source for business and financial news.
- TechCrunch: TechCrunch allows readers to stay updated on the latest in the tech industry.
5 text to speech apps that will read online articles
Text to speech apps have made it easier than ever for subscribers to consume news on the go, ensuring they’re always informed. From machine learning to artificial intelligence, these platforms utilize the best in speech technology to provide natural-sounding voices, making the experience more engaging than ever. In fact, here are five text to speech apps that are perfect for reading or listening to news online:
Speechify is an innovative text to speech solution originally designed to cater to individuals with dyslexia, ADHD, and other reading-based challenges. By converting any textual content into spoken word, it enables users to listen to news articles, documents, and even physical newspapers that can be scanned via the app. With adjustable reading speeds and a variety of natural-sounding voice options, users can customize their listening experience according to personal preferences, making reading more accessible and enjoyable.
Motoread offers a unique approach to consuming online content by rendering it in audio format. Perfect for those who prefer auditory learning or those with busy schedules, Motoread lets users catch up on their reading list while on the move. The app supports various speeds of narration and offers a user-friendly interface where articles can be efficiently queued for a seamless listening experience.
Initially designed as a bookmarking tool, Pocket evolved into a multifunctional platform where users can easily save articles, videos, and other content while scrolling for later consumption. Its text to speech feature allows users to listen to their saved articles whenever they please. With an intuitive interface and offline listening capability, Pocket has become an indispensable tool for many who wish to optimize their reading time.
Voice Dream Reader
Voice Dream Reader is a comprehensive reading tool with advanced text to speech capabilities. Catering to a diverse audience, including those with reading disabilities, this app offers a range of customizable settings, from voice selection to reading speed. Additionally, Voice Dream Reader supports a myriad of file formats and integrates with various cloud services, providing flexibility and convenience to its users.
Standing apart in the realm of text to speech platforms, Curio doesn’t only read out text. Instead, it curates high-quality content from reputable publications and collaborates with professional narrators to provide a genuinely engaging listening experience. With its curated approach, users are not just listening to articles; they’re immersed in well-produced audio content playlist from top-tier sources.
Speechify is the most versatile of these readers
Ultimately, Speechify is the most versatile of all the programs available. Some of the reasons why people love this program include:
- Customizable voice: Speechify offers over 200 lifelike voices that span various languages and accents, allowing users to choose a voice that resonates with their preferences. This feature ensures a more personalized and comfortable listening experience.
- Speed controls: With Speechify, users have the flexibility to adjust the narration speed according to their comfort, with the capability to accelerate it up to 4x. This is especially useful for those who prefer faster content consumption or are revisiting familiar material.
- Text highlighting: As Speechify reads out content, it simultaneously highlights the corresponding text. This synchronized visual aid not only improves comprehension but also benefits those who are trying to improve their reading and language skills.
- Official Celebrity Voices: Speechify offers exclusive celebrity voiceovers, including iconic voices like Snoop Dogg and Gwyneth Paltrow, with promises of adding more celebrities in the future. This feature elevates the listening experience, making it more engaging and enjoyable for the users.
- OCR technology: Leveraging Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology, Speechify allows users to snap a picture of printed materials, like newspapers, and instantly convert it into audible content. This feature bridges the gap between physical and digital reading, making almost any text accessible on the go.
- Dark Mode: Speechify’s Dark Mode feature offers an aesthetically pleasing, low-light interface ideal for nighttime use. This mode not only minimizes eye strain but also enhances battery efficiency for mobile devices.
How to get started with Speechify
If you are interested in getting started with Speechify, the process is very easy. You simply input the text and listen to the program read it to you. Speechify is compatible with just about every major operating system. This includes Mac, Windows, iOS, Android and Linux. You can use it on a laptop or desktop via the Speechify website or Chrome extension or mobile device via its apps.
Listen to news articles with Speechify today
Experience the convenience and accessibility of Speechify’s text to speech service by listening to news articles today. Speechify’s cutting-edge technology empowers you to convert written news content into audio format effortlessly. With a vast library of over 200 text to speech voices that sound indistinguishable from human speech, you can choose the perfect voice for your preferences, including various languages and accents. Whether you want to transform web pages or physical newspapers into spoken words, Speechify provides an array of use cases, enhancing productivity and inclusivity by making information accessible to everyone. Discover the power of speech synthesis and make news consumption a seamless, auditory experience by trying Speechify for free today.
How do you get an article to read out loud?
While there are several ways to get an article read out loud, the best way to do so is through Speechify. You can customize the speech output and playback by changing the pitch, tone, and accent through the toolbar.
Is there an app that can read articles to you?
There are lots of options available, but you should go with Speechify. This is a program that allows you to customize the reading speed to meet your needs. You can speed it up or slow it down as you wish.
What is the best text to speech?
The best program is Speechify. It provides you with access to the top features at an affordable price. There is even a free version that gives you access to numerous features that can help you.
Why is text to speech important?
Text to speech technology enhances accessibility by enabling individuals with reading difficulties, visual impairments, or other disabilities to consume written content audibly. It also is the perfect companion for multitaskers always on the go.
Can Firefox read news articles aloud?
Yes, you can pair Speechify with Firefox to read any news article aloud.
What app can read me the news?
You can pair Speechify with any news app to have the text read aloud to you in a wide variety of voices.
Does Microsoft support SSML?
Yes, Microsoft supports Speech Synthesis Markup Language (SSML) for its Azure Cognitive Services Text to Speech API.
How can I get Alexa to tell me the news?
You can have Amazon’s Alexa tell you the news by saying, “Alexa, what’s the news?”