Learn about Speechify and Read&Write’s key features, how they stack up against each other, and which app can better cater to your needs.
Speechify vs. Read&Write: What you need to know
Speechify and Read&Write are two accessibility apps using assistive technology designed to help people easily absorb information from written text. While the two apps may seem similar, they aren’t without their fair share of crucial differences.
In this article, you’ll learn about Speechify and Read&Write’s key features, how they stack up against each other, and which app can better cater to your needs.
What is Speechify?
Speechify is a leading TTS read-aloud software and AI voice generator that uses advanced machine learning algorithms to create natural-sounding voices from digital written text. The software can analyze complex sentences and paragraphs to determine the proper pitch, tone, and cadence and deliver a more realistic narration than most computer-generated voices.
What is Read&Write?
Read&Write is a literacy support tool developed by Texthelp. It uses text to speech technology to help learners of various age groups develop their language comprehension skills, proofread written work, and enhance their studying abilities.
The app is part of an educational suite put together by Texthelp to assist students and their teachers in interacting easier and efficiently in and outside the classroom.
Speechify – the key features
Here is a list of Speechify features that make a unique and satisfying user experience:
- Text to speech reader – Speechify can convert almost any digital text into human voice narrations for improved information retention and language comprehension.
- Tons of narrator voices – The app offers many male and female voices generated with artificial intelligence algorithms. Users can select between standard and natural voices with different accents depending on the subscription plan. In addition, Speechify has a couple of celebrity voices in its library.
- Available in different languages – Speechify offers multilingual support for text to speech applications and free text file translations in over 60 languages.
- Available across several platforms – Speechify users can install the app on iOS and Android mobile devices. Alternatively, you can install a desktop version on your Mac or install the Chrome or Safari browser extension.
- Adjustable reading speed settings – The reading speed goes up to 900 words per minute. Users can also adjust it in multiple stages to find their most comfortable pace. Note that you can also bookmark your progress and resume at any time with a different reading speed.
- OCR technology for text extraction – OCR technology uses deep learning algorithms to extract and process digital text from images, such as scanned hard copy documents, manga illustrations, etc.
Read&Write – the key features
Read&Write has its own list of key features that make it a practical and helpful TTS reader:
- Text to speech – Users can listen to what they type, upload documents, and select passages for narration. In addition, following along is easy thanks to the dual-color text highlighting feature.
- Text prediction – As an assistive tool, Read&Write helps users improve their writing skills. The prediction feature provides word suggestions to build a richer vocabulary.
- Built-in dictionary – The Read&Write dictionary helps people clarify confusing words. Depending on the context, it offers concise definitions to improve the user’s language comprehension and decoding skills.
- Vocabulary list – Students can use the vocabulary function to create personal glossaries. This feature can be helpful when writing papers on specific topics where a specific vocabulary is necessary. Combined with the text prediction feature, the vocabulary can ensure users stay within their paper writing requirements.
- Spell checker – The “Check it” feature is a built-in spell checker that can correct grammar and spelling mistakes. It’s a great way to proofread written work and clarify how to use words with different meanings. Additionally, teachers can use this feature to correct papers and determine what type of reading and writing problems their students might have.
- Available on multiple platforms – You can get Read&Write from the Apple App store or it’s available on Windows and Android devices. Furthermore, Texthelp offers a Google Chrome extension and a Microsoft Edge web browser alternative if you don’t want the dedicated iPhone, iPad, or Android app.
Speechify or Read&Write?
From afar, Speechify and Read&Write might seem like very similar text to speech software. They are both apps that read text aloud, can create quality voiceovers for digital text, and use advanced speech synthesis to help users with reading disabilities and difficulties.
In addition, Read&Write sets itself apart with the extra writing-oriented functionality. Users may need to go through some tutorials before learning the software.
Speechify comes with a reliable educational component. Designed by a person with dyslexia for dyslexic users, the Speechify software is one of the best text to speech apps for overcoming reading issues and visual impairment.
That said, Speechify can do more than the average TTS screen reader. The app can take any text, from Microsoft Word documents to Google Docs, PDF files, Google Drive images, non-DRM epub e-books, HTML web pages, and more, and turn them into downloadable audio files.
Speechify enables users to listen to natural-sounding voices online and offline in English, Portuguese, Spanish, and many other languages.
If you want a well-rounded TTS app, try Speechify for free. Experience quick improvements in language comprehension, decoding, and productivity for yourself. When ready, feel free to upgrade to the premium version to unlock OCR, note-taking, and more premium quality voices across all platforms.
How is Speechify better than Read&Write?
Speechify is a more complex and versatile software that can convert digital text into high-quality speech. It also assists with screen navigation and extracts text from images.
What is the best app for students with dyslexia?
Speechify is a solid mobile app for students, kids, and adults with dyslexia. Its primary purpose revolves around solving language comprehension issues and clarifying word, spelling, and pronunciation confusion.