Today, it is easier to identify people who might benefit from a special education program at a younger age. This is due to advances in medical care. An IEP team can use assessments to identify students who need help. Then, they can customize the program to help them. One particular tool that can help people is a program that can read aloud to students. This is beneficial for students with a learning disability or visual impairment. It can help students with other issues as well.
How can a TTS program help with a student’s IEP? There are a few important points to keep in mind.
What is an IEP?
First, it is important to take a closer look at what an individualized education program is. This is usually shortened to IEP. There are a few components to include. They are:
- The program should be customized to meet individual student needs.
- It should include all related services for which the child qualifies.
- This program should provide educational accommodations that put the student in the best position possible to be successful.
- The objectives of the program should be tailored to meet the needs of the child.
- There should be annual goals meeting that can assess how well the child is doing.
This is a program that can help students learn everything from science to English and from math to social studies. The program has to be reviewed regularly. Improvements can be made for students that are still struggling.
How text-to-speech works
There are lots of assistive technology devices offered by different school districts. The eligibility of students for different providers is usually based on what the child needs. One of the most important tools that must be used is called text to speech. It is usually shortened to TTS.
Text-to-speech software has come a long way during the past few years. It can be an important component of your child’s IEP as well. This is a tool that takes the text that is written on the screen and converts it into spoken speech. That way, children don’t have to struggle to read the text on the screen. They can keep up with their peers.
This is a program that is particularly popular for students with decoding issues and those with dyslexia. As one of the most popular supplementary AIDS, many school personnel appreciate that TTS programs can handle a wide variety of files. This makes it easier to get students the help they need.
How text-to-speech can be a part of an IEP
During an IEP meeting at the beginning of the school year, there are numerous ways that a TTS program can be included as part of an individualized education program. They include:
- This program can be used to adjust the reading speed of files. This makes it easier for students to understand what is being read to them.
- Some of these tools can highlight the text on the screen. This can make it easier for kids to learn how certain words are pronounced.
- This program can be particularly beneficial to children with visual disabilities. If they cannot read the information on the screen, they can still listen to it instead.
- Many children with dyslexia are struggling readers, but this program can teach them how to read. They might have an easier time understanding different voices or reading different fonts.
For all of these reasons, both private and public education school systems need to make a screen reader available at just about every grade level. It should be an important part of the decision-making process.
Types of text-to-speech tools
Every student has different educational needs. That is why measurable annual goals need to be a part of all service plans as specific accommodations are being made. There are different types of TTS tools available. It is important for every special education teacher to consider incorporating one of them as part of a special education curriculum.
Some of the features that you should look for in a TTS tool include:
- Reading speed: You need to find a program that allows you to change the reading speed. Different students will have an easier time keeping up with certain reading speeds. You should be able to change the speed to meet the needs of the student.
- Highlight text: You should consider finding a tool that can highlight text on the screen, which is particularly important for ELA. Highlighting the text on the screen makes it easier for students to learn how certain words are pronounced.
- Instant translation: Particularly at middle school and high school levels, you should use a TTS tool. Specifically, a tool that provides you with instant translation capabilities. This is an important part of the student learning process. This includes those learning English as a second language.
Transition planning is important. At present levels of academic achievement and functional performance, it is clear that TTS tools can benefit students at all levels. This includes those who need IEPs.
Kids learn in different ways and at different paces.
If you take a look at information published by an education agency or a public agency, it is clear that allowable accommodations are important at every level. An office of special education will likely indicate that students learn at different levels and at different paces. That is why it is important to have a program that you can customize to meet your needs. By giving students access to a TTS program, it is possible to give them the resources they need to not only survive but also thrive.
How your child can access text-to-speech at school
If you want to make it easier for students to access TTS at school in a small group, then you should go with Speechify. This is a program that is available as a standalone app, a separate HTML web page, or even as a browser extension. It comes with a wide variety of customizable features. You can customize the voice to meet your needs. This is also a popular paraprofessional program because it can help you instantly translate from one language to another. It can benefit students at all levels.
The Department of Education has indicated that students need to receive access to tools that can augment their learning capabilities. In some cases, this might include Braille or Sign Language. In other cases, this could include TTS programs. Some of the most important takeaways everyone has to keep in mind include:
Every student with special needs should be given access to an IEP that is customized. This includes having the student name at the top of the plan.
The program has to be reviewed regularly to make sure it continues to meet the needs of the student.
Students should be given access to special accommodations when they need them. This could include a text-to-speech program.
Put the best TTS program to work for you, and go with Speechify today.
Some of the most common questions people ask include:
What does IEP stand for in speech?
It stands for an individualized educational program. It is a program that contains details of how a student with special needs can be better accommodated.
What are examples of IEP accommodations?
Usually, this starts with a statewide assessment to see if someone qualifies for special accommodations. Then, students may be given access to special programs, extra time, or an extra tutor that can help them learn the information they need. That is one area where Speechify can be helpful for students with learning and visual disabilities.