Here are all the answers to the question, "What is Libby?” Additionally, Libby reviews can help you understand this e-book and audiobook platform a little better.
Audiobooks are convenient and essential for various people from all walks of life. You can listen to your favorite author, do chores, or commute to work. They’re also life-changing for people with certain disabilities like vision impairment and dyslexia. But audiobooks can get expensive, especially if you use a platform like Audible by Amazon.
However, free audiobook apps like Libby are the perfect alternative. Using Libby is pretty straightforward, but there are a few essential things to keep in mind.
Here’s everything you need to know about Libby and reviews of Libby’s features to help you understand the app better.
What is Libby?
But also note that your library needs to work with Libby to benefit from their e-book and audiobook collections. You can find countless books on Libby, including novels, poetry, self-help titles, BBQ cookbooks, and even books about radio and podcasts. Because you can access many great magazines, you can read book reviews in reputable publications.
You may have heard some people talk about Libby and the OverDrive app as if they’re on the same platform, but they are not. OverDrive is another platform that works with public library systems. However, OverDrive has also created Libby to provide a more user-friendly experience.
The Libby app is entirely free, but you’re also only borrowing e-books and audiobooks. Once the rental period is over, you won’t be able to access the specific title.
Getting started with Libby
Libby is fantastic because you don’t need to put in your phone number, credit card information, or even email to start using the app. Of course, you’ll need a Wi-Fi connection to download the iOS or Android mobile app.
Keep in mind that Libby is also available for Amazon Fire tablets. Windows and macOS users can access the web version of Libby using their preferred browser. Once you access the app, Libby’s intuitive interface prompts you to find your library and sign in with a valid library card.
If you don’t have a library card, perhaps you can consider applying for one. Another option is to ask a family member, friend, or coworker for their library card number. Once signed in, users can browse the available catalog and borrow titles.
It’s possible that some titles, like currently popular bestsellers, are not available. However, the title can go on a waiting list, and the Libby app will alert you once it becomes available.
Libby – The key features
Libby is one of the best free e-book and audiobook apps available. It has some amazing features we want to highlight, which could also help you navigate the app like an expert.
- Access to multiple libraries – You only need one library card to access all the libraries in Libby’s network. If you have more than one library card, you can connect them all to Libby.
- Jump around searching – Libby makes searching for books easy. All search results are paginated, so users can go to any page in the library list by tapping the page number.
- Reading progress – The books you’ve started to read will show the reading progress bar.
- Libby Shelf – All borrowed book titles will appear on your Shelf. You can even add them offline, and they will download once your device connects to the internet.
- Smart tags – With this feature, you can track books you’ve liked or ones you want to read later.
- Sleep timer – If you love falling asleep while listening to audiobooks, you can set the timer between 5-120 minutes.
- Playback speed – You will find a speedometer icon in the Libby app. The playback ranges between 0.6 to 3x the speed.
A quick Libby review
The basic concept of Libby is pretty great. It’s an entirely free app that puts your public library card to good use. Affordable or free audiobooks are particularly hard to find, but Libby makes it effortless. It’s impossible to overstate how impressive it is to access multiple libraries on your mobile device.
You can borrow 10 books at a time, each of which you’re allowed to keep for three weeks. But you can renew the loan even if you don’t read the book in three weeks.
However, Libby has a few downsides too. Indeed, you have access to so many books but not enough of them at the same time. Libby might not always have the top 10 bestsellers available, but you’ll likely always find the classics.
- Excellent interface
- Compatibility with mobile devices
- Libby shelves and smart tags
- Access to multiple libraries
- No ads or sponsored posts
- Sleep timer
- No dedicated desktop app
- Time limit for holding books
- Somewhat limited database
Is the Libby app legit?
Yes, Libby is a legit app. You can download it safely to your mobile device.
What is Libby used for?
Its purpose is to provide free e-books and audiobooks as rentals.
What is the difference between Libby and Libby OverDrive?
OverDrive created Libby, and the platforms have nearly identical catalogs. However, Libby has a simplified interface.
Does Libby cost money?
No – Libby is entirely free of charge.
What is Libby’s star rating on the App Store?
Libby has a 4.8-star rating on App Store by 2.1 million users.
How do you sign up for Libby?
All you need is a valid library card. Once you download the Libby app, enter your 14-digit card number and password.