Do you want to read Alex Cross’s books in order? Discover more details about the series, including the correct order to read the series from start to finish.
The Alex Cross books are a New York Times bestseller crime, thriller, and mystery book series written by James Patterson. The popularity of the books skyrocketed after several Hollywood blockbuster adaptations. Since the series features 29 books, it’s hard to work out how to read them in the proper sequence.
Here we’ll provide a list of Alex Cross books in order.
All about James Patterson
Before delving into the world of Alex Cross, it is important to learn a little more about the man behind the books: James Patterson. Patterson was born in Newburgh, New York in 1947 and began his writing career in the late 1970s. Since then, he has written over 200 books, including the highly successful Alex Cross series. Patterson is known for his fast-paced and engaging writing style, which has made him one of the most popular and successful authors of our time.
In addition to his successful writing career, Patterson is also a philanthropist. He has donated millions of dollars to various causes, including education and literacy programs. In 2015, he launched the James Patterson Pledge, which pledged to donate $1.75 million to school libraries across the United States.
Patterson is also a strong advocate for reading and literacy. He has worked with organizations such as the National Book Foundation and the American Library Association to promote reading and support libraries. In 2010, he was awarded the Literarian Award for Outstanding Service to the American Literary Community by the National Book Foundation.
James Patterson’s other works
While James Patterson is best known for his Alex Cross books, he has also penned many other successful works. Some of his other popular series include the Women’s Murder Club, the Michael Bennett series, and the Private series. He has also written several standalone novels and non-fiction books. Patterson’s diverse range of works highlights his immense talent as an author and his ability to create stories in a variety of genres.
The Women’s Murder Club series follows a group of female friends who work together to solve crimes in San Francisco. The series has been adapted into a television series and has sold over 100 million copies worldwide. The Michael Bennett series, on the other hand, follows a detective in New York City who balances his job with raising his ten adopted children. The series has been praised for its unique protagonist and its fast-paced, action-packed plots.
In addition to his fiction works, Patterson has also written several non-fiction books, including “The Murder of King Tut” and “Filthy Rich,” which explores the life and crimes of billionaire Jeffrey Epstein. Patterson’s ability to write engaging and informative non-fiction books showcases his versatility as an author and his dedication to telling compelling stories, whether they are based on fact or fiction.
Who is Alex Cross?
Alex Cross is undoubtedly one of the most popular characters in modern literature. He is a brilliant detective, psychologist, and family man who has won the hearts of readers worldwide. Throughout the course of the series, we see Cross evolve and grow as a character. He is faced with countless challenges and obstacles, both in his personal and professional life. Nevertheless, his intelligence, compassion, and selflessness always lead him to triumph. Patterson’s masterful characterization of Alex Cross is one of the key reasons why the series is so beloved by fans.
One of the most interesting aspects of Alex Cross’s character is his ability to balance his personal and professional life. As a single father, he is devoted to his children and always puts their needs first. However, he also has a strong sense of duty to his job and the people he serves. This often leads to difficult decisions and sacrifices, but Cross always manages to find a way to make it work. His dedication to both his family and his work is a testament to his strength of character and unwavering sense of responsibility.
How the Alex Cross series has evolved over time
The Alex Cross series began with the novel ‘Along Came a Spider’ in 1993. Since then, the character has appeared in nearly 30 books, with each one building upon the last. The series has evolved over time, with Cross tackling more complex cases and facing tougher opponents. The depth of the characters has also grown over time, and readers have gotten to know and love many of the recurring characters that appear throughout the series.
One of the most notable changes in the Alex Cross series over time has been the shift in tone. While the earlier books in the series were more focused on the crime-solving aspect of the story, the later books have delved deeper into the personal lives of the characters. This has allowed readers to connect with the characters on a more emotional level, and has added a new layer of complexity to the series.
Another way in which the Alex Cross series has evolved over time is in its exploration of different themes. While the earlier books in the series focused primarily on serial killers and other violent crimes, the later books have tackled issues such as political corruption, terrorism, and cybercrime. This has allowed the series to remain fresh and relevant, and has kept readers engaged and invested in the story.
Alex Cross reading list in order
Here’s a list of the titles from the Alex Cross series in the correct reading order. Beware of spoiler alerts!
- All Along Came a Spider – Alex Cross is a Washington D.C. homicide detective investigating the murders of two black prostitutes and a child. He gets pulled off the case to investigate a high-profile kidnapping and clashes with Jezzie Flannagan. The first novel was adapted into a movie, with Morgan Freeman playing Alex.
- Kiss the Girls – Detective Alex Cross from the Washington D.C. police department works on catching Casanova, a serial killer and kidnapper whose identity will be shocking to everyone.
- Jack & Jill – Cross is torn between two murder cases. One close to home, while the other involves a couple who call themselves Jack and Jill and who target celebrity victims.
- Cat and Mouse – Cross faces the criminal mastermind from the first book, despite being forced to investigate another case.
- Pop Goes the Weasel – Alex Cross and his fiancée get involved in a complex murder case.
- Roses Are Red – Alex and his partner Sampson investigate a series of robberies, some of which involve murders.
- Violets Are Blue – Cross investigates the murder of his lover and partner and receives a call from his old nemesis.
- Four Blind Mice – Cross decides to retire and Nana and his children are looking forward to it. But he receives a call from Sampson asking for assistance with an investigation.
- The Big Bad Wolf – Cross, now an FBI agent, pursues a Russian mafia leader, aka The Wolf.
- London Bridges – Alex continues to pursue The Wolf, who bombs a small Nevada town and threatens to bomb London, New York, Frankfurt, Paris, and Tel Aviv.
- Mary, Mary – Alex’s vacation is cut short after he is called to investigate a series of high-profile celebrity murders.
- Alex Cross – Alex’s ex-partner Sampson asks him to help investigate a serial rapist case in Georgetown to which he may be personally connected.
- Double Cross – Although he’s no longer a detective, Cross helps with the investigations of two crazed killers.
- Cross Country – Cross and his girlfriend pursue an organized gang of teenagers led by a man known as the Tiger.
- I, Alex Cross – After his niece is murdered, Alex is determined to find the killer.
- Cross Fire – Alex’s wedding preparations are put on hold when he’s called to investigate two high-profile murders.
- Kill Alex Cross – Cross investigates the kidnapping of the president’s children. At the same time, he’s trying to hunt down the person who contaminated the capital’s water supply.
- Alex Cross, Run – Cross tries to catch three serial killers while being pursued by a stalker.
- Cross My Heart – As a criminal threatens his family, Alex does all he can to protect them.
- Hope to Die – A psychotic serial killer has kidnapped Alex’s family. To get them back safely, he must play a dangerous game of cat and mouse.
- Cross Justice – After his cousin is accused of a crime, Alex goes back to North Carolina to help him.
- Cross the Line – Cross teams up with his wife, Bree, to catch a criminal.
- Cross Kill: Bookshots – The killer from the first novel, Gary Soneji, is thought to be dead, but Alex suspects this is no more than a ruse after he sees him gun down his partner.
- Detective Cross: Bookshots – Cross tries to catch an anonymous caller who wants to bomb Washington, D.C.
- The People vs. Alex Cross – Alex Cross is charged with gunning down the followers of his nemesis and faces a trial.
- Target: Alex Cross – Cross helps the Secret Service and the FBI investigate the murders of political leaders.
- Criss Cross – Alex works with his partner to discover the identity of a mysterious killer.
- Deadly Cross – Cross investigates the murder of socialite Kay Willingham.
- Fear No Evil – The book depicts the final battle between Alex and the person who has stalked him and his family for a long time.
- Triple Cross – Cross tries to catch a serial killer who targets entire families.
- Cross Down (Expected: June 5, 2023) – Cross is injured, and Sampson has to investigate a series of military-style attacks on his own.
If you enjoy Alex Cross novels, you should check out other James Patterson books and series. He wrote the Women’s Murder Club series, the Michael Bennett series, and the Ali Cross series.
You can also read Merry Christmas, Alex Cross, and Alex Cross’s Trial, which are books that are related to the main series but aren’t a part of it.
The mystery and thrill of the Alex Cross series
The Alex Cross series is known for its gripping and suspenseful plots. Each book is filled with twists and turns that keep readers on the edge of their seats. Patterson’s writing style is fast-paced and engaging, making it hard to put the book down once you’ve started reading. The combination of complex characters, intricate plots, and thrilling action sequences is what makes the Alex Cross series so addictive.
Exploring the plotlines of the Alex Cross books
Each book in the Alex Cross series has its own unique plotline, yet they all form part of a larger narrative. From bank robberies to serial killers, Cross is always faced with a new challenge. He is forced to use all of his skills and intelligence to solve each case, often with his own life at risk. The scope of the plots ensures that the series remains fresh and exciting, even after multiple readings.
The impact of Alex Cross on popular culture
The enduring success of the Alex Cross series has had a significant impact on popular culture. The character has become a household name, with many people all over the world being familiar with his story. The series has also inspired numerous spin-offs, adaptations, and merchandise. The contribution of Alex Cross to popular culture cannot be overstated.
In conclusion, the Alex Cross series is a must-read for anyone who enjoys a good crime thriller. With its engrossing plotlines, superb characterization, and thrilling action, it is no wonder that the series has been so successful. Whether you’re a long-time fan or a newcomer to the series, you’re sure to be captivated by the world of Alex Cross.
Get more exciting thriller titles from Speechify
If you want to listen to exciting thrillers and titles belonging to other genres, Speechify Audiobooks is a great option. This platform lets you access and listen to thousands of audiobooks from your laptop or computer.
The platform is incredibly easy to use, even for those who aren’t tech-savvy. It offers a wide range of options that make your listening experience even better, such as adjusting the playback speed and setting a sleep timer.
The best part is that the platform will automatically sync between devices, so you don’t have to worry about saving your progress.
Try Speechify Audiobooks today and dive into the audiobook world.
Will there be a new Alex Cross book in 2023?
Yes, a new Alex Cross book will be released in June 2023 titled Cross Down.