If you’re wondering how to block YouTube on a computer or phone, we have the answer. Read on to discover multiple ways to do it.
How to block YouTube on a computer or phone
YouTube is a platform with plenty of valuable content. However, the website can also distract many users and affect productivity. For this reason, many people opt to block YouTube on their or their children’s devices.
Here, we’ll explain how to block YouTube on computers and mobile devices.
How to block YouTube on your phone
There are several ways to block YouTube on mobile devices. Since the methods vary depending on your device, we’ll provide instructions for iPhone and Android users.
Blocking YouTube on iPhone
Use Screen Time settings
Screen Time is a valuable feature with extensive parental controls. With this feature, users can block sites like YouTube, set up time limits, limit access to adult content, etc. Here’s what you need to do to block YouTube using Screen Time:
- Go to Settings and tap “Screen Time.”
- Choose “Content & Privacy Restrictions.”
- Enable Content & Privacy Restrictions and go to “Content Restrictions.”
- Choose “Apps” and set the age limit to 12 and under.
Keep in mind that the drawback of using this method is that you’ll also block other apps rated 12 and above, like TikTok and Instagram. However, it’s a great way to ensure your children stay away from inappropriate content.
Delete the YouTube app and block new installations
Another way to block YouTube is to delete the app and restrict new installations. Follow the steps below to do it:
- Find the YouTube app and press and hold the app’s icon.
- Choose “Remove app,” tap “Delete App,” and select “Delete.”
- Go to Settings and find “Screen Time.”
- Tap “Content & Privacy Restrictions” and enable them.
- Select “iTunes & App Store Purchases.”
- Choose “Installing Apps” and tap “Don’t Allow.”
Blocking YouTube on Android devices
Use an app-blocking app
Android users can block YouTube using numerous browser extensions and app blockers. One of the best apps for this purpose is the Freedom app. Here’s how to set it up and block YouTube:
- Go to Google Play Store, type “Freedom” in the search bar and press “Install” at the top-right corner.
- Open the app and select the badge icon (blocklists) at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap “Manage.”
- Allow access to the installed apps.
- Here, you can customize which apps to block. Find the YouTube app and switch the toggle button next to it.
Keep in mind that this only restricts access to the YouTube app, not the website. If you want to block access to the website using the Freedom app, follow these steps:
- Open the app and tap the badge icon.
- Select the plus icon at the bottom-right corner.
- Locate “YouTube” and switch the toggle button next to it.
- Repeat the steps if you want to block websites other than YouTube.
Whenever you wish to unblock YouTube, repeat the steps.
How to block YouTube on your computer
Here’s a list of the easiest ways to block YouTube on your network.
Keep in mind that other methods, like router setting customizations, are available. However, this requires several steps, including entering the IP address and your username and passcode. Those who aren’t tech-savvy find this method complicated.
Use Cold Turkey
Cold Turkey is a website blocker with a simple interface. Here’s how to use it to block YouTube:
- Open your browser (Google Chrome browser, Mozilla Firefox, or a different one) and enter “Cold Turkey” in the search bar.
- Download the Cold Turkey app and follow the on-screen instructions to set it up.
- Go to “Blocks” and select “Add a new block.”
- Select “Add Windows 10 app” and choose “YouTube” from the drop-down menu.
- Press “Save.”
Use Microsoft Family Safety
Another way to block YouTube on a computer is to use Microsoft Family Safety. This built-in app can limit screen time, set up passcodes to access websites, location tracking, etc. Follow the steps below to block YouTube:
- Open the Start menu and press the gear icon to access settings.
- Choose “Accounts.”
- Select “Family & other users.”
- Press “Add someone else to this PC” and create a new account.
- Go to your administrator account, enter the account you just created, and press “App, games & media.”
- Press “Limit apps, games, and media from the Store” and add the YouTube app to the list.
Block YouTube using host files
You can block the YouTube website through host files. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the Start menu, search for the Notepad app, and run it as administrator.
- Select “File” and press “Open.”
- When the pop-up dialogue box appears, go to Local Disk C:WindowsSystem32driversetc and press “hosts.”
- Type “127.0.0.1 youtube.com” and “127.0.0.1 www.youtube.com” at the end of the text.
- Press “File” and choose “Save.”
Speechify – Enjoy the web without YouTube
Many users like YouTube because it allows them to listen to content and multitask, but there’s another way to enjoy the web: text to speech platforms.
Text to speech programs like Speechify can convert written content into high-quality spoken language. The platform features a simple interface and offers numerous language, voice, and accent options. Plus, users can customize the playback speed.
One of the best things about Speechify is its availability. The software is suitable for Apple (iOS – iPhone and iPad) and Android devices, Mac computers, Microsoft Windows devices, and web browsers (Chrome and Safari). So whether you’re using a laptop, computer, tablet, or mobile device, you can be sure Speechify will work.
Speechify can transform any text document or web page into speech. It also allows users to scan hard copies of documents to save as audio files. Since the app features a simple interface, there’s no need to go through numerous tutorials to learn how to use it.
Try Speechify and explore how it can boost your productivity.
How do I block content on YouTube on my computer?
You can block YouTube videos through Restricted Mode. Open YouTube, select your profile picture at the top-right corner, and find “Restricted Mode.” Switch the toggle button to activate it.
How do I get YouTube off my phone?
You can get YouTube off your phone by pressing and holding the app’s icon and selecting “Uninstall” or “Remove app,” depending on your operating system.
How do I block a YouTube channel?
To block a YouTube channel, go to that channel and access the “About” page. Then, select the flag icon and choose “Block user.” You can also block a YouTube channel through YouTube kids using a linked parent account.