Unsure how to block TikTok on a computer or phone? Read on to learn how to ban the app on all your devices.
How to block TikTok on a computer or phone
TikTok is a widely used social media platform that has amassed over one billion users. At first, TikTok users mainly uploaded lip-syncing videos to the network, but now the TikTok app boasts more diverse content, from tutorials to reviews.
Although little is known about its algorithm, the platform beats other social media apps because it’s easy to use, focuses on short videos, and is compatible with most operating systems and devices. Despite its user-friendly nature, TikTok has several significant drawbacks.
First, many users have noticed they spend hours consuming short-form content instead of focusing on their to-do lists. Since the web content on TikTok is bite-sized, it’s easy to lose track of time. Besides its negative impact on productivity, TikTok is at the center of severe security concerns.
Compared to social media platforms like Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook, TikTok has insufficient built-in parental controls and could push inappropriate content to underage users.
As the company behind the app is based in China, experts are concerned that the Chinese government could influence what type of content TikTok users see. Not to mention that some users are unsure how much data the app collects from their accounts.
The above issues are a few reasons many people have blocked the app on their iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows devices. Let’s discuss how you can do the same.
How to block TikTok on iPhone and iPad
Several methods can help you block the TikTok mobile app on your iOS device. Two of the most common ones are using Screen Time and restricting the app on your router. Both will allow you to reduce your digital activity and build healthier online habits.
Use Screen Time Management
Blocking the app on your iPhone or iPad only takes a few simple steps. Here’s what you need to do:
- Launch the TikTok app from the home screen.
- Open “Privacy and Settings.”
- Navigate to the General section and press the “Digital Wellbeing” option.
- Select “Screen Time Management.”
- Adjust your time limit and set up a passcode.
After the selected timeframe elapses, you’ll have to enter the passcode to renew the restrictions.
Block via your router
Another way to block the app on your phone is to use your wireless router. This method allows you to block all the domains associated with the platform.
- Log into the Control Panel on your router.
- Head to “Parental Controls.”
- Press the edit icon next to the device name.
- Navigate to “Website Access Limit” and select the menu.
- Choose “Blacklist” under “Access Control Mode.”
- Enter the following domains in the “Block Website” field:
- Hit the “Save” button to save these changes.
This action prevents you from accessing the blocked app using your wireless network.
How to block TikTok on Android devices
If your TikTok account hinders your daily routine and you can’t put down your Android phone, blocking the app might be a good idea. You can either add the platform to your Android blocklist or block it via your router.
Add TikTok to your Android blocklist
Adding the app to your blocklist is relatively straightforward.
- Head to the Google Play Store and download Freedom, a third-party app blocker.
- Launch the app and open a new blocklist.
- Rename the blocklist and press “Add Blocklist.”
- Type “tiktok.com” in the text field and select “Add Site.”
- Hit the “Save” button and select “Start Session.”
Block via your router
You can also restrict TikTok access by tweaking your router settings. Follow the instructions below to do so:
- Head to your Wi-Fi router’s Admin Portal and log into your user account.
- Navigate to the DNS section.
- Type “184.108.40.206.” into the DNS1 field.
- Type “220.127.116.11” into the DNS2 field.
- Visit the OpenDNS site and configure your wireless network.
- After mapping your network on these servers, find the “Web Content Filtering” tab.
- Press “Add Domain” under “Manage Individual Domains.”
- Type the domains associated with the app you want to block. For TikTok, these include:
If you want to ban TikTok’s IP address, type “18.104.22.168” or “22.214.171.124”.
You won’t be able to open the TikTok app or access the platform through your web browser.
How to block TikTok on Apple Mac
Although you’ve blocked the social media app on your mobile device, you may have continued to watch short videos on your MacBook. In that case, you can ban the app using Safari’s built-in Screen Time feature. Here’s what you should do:
- Press the Apple icon in the upper left of the screen and choose “System Preferences.”
- Select the “Screen Time” option and navigate to the left sidebar.
- Tap “Content and Privacy” and press “Turn On.”
- Click on “Limit Adult Websites” and hit the “Customize” button.
- Tap the plus icon under “Restricted.”
- Enter “tiktok.com” in the appropriate field and press “OK.”
- Select “OK” again to confirm the action.
How to block TikTok on Windows computer
If you have a Windows computer, you can tweak your Wi-Fi router’s URL-filtering settings to ban TikTok.
- Open the Admin Panel and log into your account.
- Open the “URL Filter List” (On some routers, it may be called the “Disallow List” or “Firewall”).
- Type “tiktok.com” into the URL field and tap “Save.”
When you want to unblock the app, remove its URL from the list and save the changes.
Use Speechify to enjoy the web in new ways
While many apps are distracting and hamper productivity, this doesn’t apply to Speechify, a top-notch text to speech (TTS) tool. This program used machine learning and OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to read aloud digital or physical text, treating its users to a podcast-like experience.
Turn your web browsing into a pleasurable activity and listen as Speechify reads papers, news articles, and social media posts aloud. Choose from a wide range of studio-quality narrator voices and adjust the reading speed to make the most out of the app.
Try Speechify for free today and see how it can improve your online habits.
How do I block a specific person on TikTok?
Open the user’s profile and press the three dots in the top right part of the screen. Select “Block” from the pop-up menu. This method applies to both iOS and Android devices.
How do I block a TikTok video?
Although you can’t block specific videos on TikTok, you can use the “Not Interested” option to prevent the platform from showing you similar content.