Twitter can be distracting, so let’s break down how to block the website and app on iPhone, Mac, Windows, and Android.
How to block Twitter on a computer or phone?
Social media has most of us scrolling our timelines daily and Twitter is no exception. These social media platforms can take up way too much of our time. Some can provide momentary pleasure, while others are just a mere distraction. If only there were some sort of a website blocker.
There are plenty of reasons to block Twitter without deleting the mobile app. With Elon Musk’s recent takeover, some feel it’s heading in the wrong direction or is too toxic. For many, their tweets go unheard and the platform feels like a waste of time. With so much chaos happening on Twitter, it could be a blessing to limit your exposure to some social media. Here is everything you need to know about blocking Twitter on a computer or phone.
How to block Twitter on iPhone and iPad
If you have a child with their own Apple device, you may not want them to have access to certain social media like Twitter. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to block Twitter on an iPhone or iPad using parental controls. Here’s how you do it:
- Using your child’s iPhone or iPad, tap on “Settings.”
- Select “Screen Time.”
- Find and choose “This is my Child’s.”
- Tap on “Content & Privacy Restrictions” and then “Content Restrictions.”
- Scroll down and click “Web Content” and then select “Limit Adult Websites.”
- Go to “Never Allow” and tap on “Add Website.”
- Type “www.twitter.com” into the text box.
You can also list other specific websites here that you’d also like to block.
How to block Twitter on an Android device
Much like how to block Twitter on an iPhone and iPad, you do so on an Android phone or device by using its parental controls. To learn how to do this, follow the instructions below:
- On your Android device, open the “Google Play” app.
- In the top right, tap on your profile icon.
- Go to “Settings,” then to “Family.”
- Select “Parental Controls.” Enter your PIN or create a PIN.
- Choose the device you want to control.
- Turn on “Website Filter.”
- Tap “Block Listed” and then “Add.”
- Type “www.twitter.com” when prompted.
If you’d like to simply set up time limits for Twitter, next to the URL, you can tap the alarm clock icon and set a time for when to unblock the app.
You can also download a third-party app to directly block specific apps or set them on a timer. This is great if you want to control how much time you spend on social media.
How to block Twitter on your computer
Windows PC users can also block Twitter. There are several ways to accomplish this. The first method is to customize the host files. This will trick your computer into going to an incorrect Twitter IP address, thus making it impossible to access. The other method is restricting content using the parental controls feature. To use the host files method, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Notepad app and select “Run as administrator.”
- Tap on “File.”
- Navigate to “This PC > Windows > System32 > drivers > etc. > hosts.”
- Add a new line to the last line of the page. Enter “127.0.0.1 twitter.com” and press enter.
- In the new line, enter “127.0.0.1 www.twitter.com” and press “Control + S” to save.
To block Twitter using the Family Safety method, do the following:
- Click the Windows icon.
- Go to “Settings > Account > Family & other users > Manage family settings online or remove an account.”
- Select your child’s account.
- Choose “Content Restrictions.”
- Under “Always blocked,” type in “www.twitter.com” in the text field.
These settings will work for all web browsers like Chrome or Firefox.
How to block Twitter on Apple Mac
If you’re using an Apple PC, you can also block Twitter. However, it’s different than any of the above methods. To do so on a Mac, you’ll need to use the AppCrypt app. It allows users to block any website. Here’s how to use it:
- Download and install AppCrypt.
- Launch the app and set up a password.
- Tap on the AppCrypt icon and select “Open main menu” from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your password and hit “OK.”
- From the main window, click “Web Block.”
- Next to “URL,” type “www.twitter.com” in the text field.
- The Twitter website can now only be accessed by typing in your AppCrypt password.
Speechify – Experience the web in a brand-new way
There are ways to enjoy the web without social media, social networking, or Twitter tweets. Speechify is a text to speech tool that reads text to you. This unique tool works on iPhone, Windows, iOS, and Android. It has a Google Chrome extension so that webpages or online articles can be read to you while you multitask, or you can read along. You can speed up the playback and increase your reading speed by listening and trying to keep up.
Speechify isn’t limited to online use. Take a screenshot of a page of a document and have it read back to you. There’s even a way to change the readback voice. You can pick male, female, Australian, and even Snoop Dogg.
Try Speechify for free today.
Can you block a website on a device?
You can block a website on any device by either using the parental controls features, accessing your host files, or using an app.
How can I block social media sites on my computer?
Social media sites can be blocked the same way as websites by using parental control features.
How do I stop people from seeing my tweets?
One way to stop people from seeing your tweets is to block them. You can also lock your Twitter account so that only those who follow you can see them.
How do I block people on Twitter?
You can easily add someone on Twitter to your blocked list. Go to their profile page and tap on the three dots icon in the upper right corner. From the drop-down menu, hit “Block.” You’ll no longer see their tweets and won’t be able to send you a direct message.